An Interview With The Breakout Pop-Rockers, WOLVES!
Posted On 27 Feb 2018
Get to know WOLVES! Their debut track “Animal” was recently released. The video for it was produced and directed by Alex Di Marco. It opens with the band playing on a rooftop and then cuts to a beautiful woman in a night club, followed by the band playing in the woods. A group of party-goers, dressed as vampires, walk beneath a full moon, signifying the appearance of creatures of the night and unfulfilled dark desires. The amalgamation of the erotic music and the images is wickedly irresistible.
The band is made up of Marc Avery on lead vocals, Sean Carney on guitar and background vocals, and Rockwell Sands on drums, guitars and keyboards. The trio united with the goal of forming the “ultimate project,” a band that would merge pop, urban and rock elements into distinctive, singular music.
“We wondered what it would be like if we took all these different influences we loved—artists like Michael Jackson, the Eagles, Coldplay—and rolled them all into one band today,” Sands says.
Learn more about WOLVES in the following All Access interview:
– Thanks for your time! Where does this interview find you all today? What is one song that you are loving right now? What is a song that you all disagree about loving right now?
Thank YOU for your time! We’re sitting at a bar across the street from Rocky’s apartment in downtown LA. We just finished writing a brand new song that we’re all super stoked about! One song we love right now is this new song on the Black Panther soundtrack called ‘The Ways’ by Khalid and Swae Lee. So dope. One song we can NEVER agree on is anything the Beatles did. Marc and Sean love the Beatles (like normal people). Believe it or not, Rocky hates them.
– How has 2018 been treating you all so far? What is one musical goal that you have for this year?
2018 has been great! We’ve played some awesome shows and ‘Animal’ is climbing up the countdown on Sirius XM Hits 1! This year we’d love to have a song chart on the Hot 100 and embark on a national tour. Hopefully an international tour is in our near future after that.
– Can you recall the moment when you all thought you could be in a band together? Was it hard to come up with a name that you all thought fit your sound and who you are? How did you pick this one?
Probably after getting together and writing music for the first time. The first song we ever wrote together was ‘Animal,’ so it was clear that there was some crazy chemistry with the three of us from the get go. Celebrating with beers afterwards sealed the deal. Marc actually came up with the name WOLVES pretty quick. He threw it out in the group text, and we couldn’t believe no one had used it yet! It fits perfectly with our sound and who we are. We’re all about the group over the individual, just like wolves. Our strength is in the pack.
– I read in an article that you wondered what it would be like to incorporate all the different influences you love—artists like Michael Jackson, the Eagles, Coldplay—and rolled them all into one band today. What is it about those particular bands that you would like to take into Wolves?
All three of those artists are timeless, and they all brought something new to the table when music really needed it. We think a lot of music right now is very “of the moment” and won’t last longer than a couple months. Also, no one writes their own songs anymore! We want to bring something fresh to music with substance, and we want our band to have longevity…without using 14 songwriters and producers for each single we put out.
– What was the inspiration for your newest single “Animal”? How creatively involved were you with the making of the video for it?
Musically and sonically we knew we wanted a song that was full of energy! Also, all three of us love women who have an understanding of self and exude confidence. Confidence is sexy. For the video, we collaborated with the brilliant Alex Di Marco and Ken Ashton of HustleCake Productions—check them out! We came to Alex with a couple ideas and he really elevated it to the next level. We couldn’t be happier with how the video turned out.
– How do you think “Animal” prepares listeners for more music from this group? Speaking of, when do you to put out more new music and a full collection of new songs?
Trust us when we say: you’ll NEVER be prepared for what’s coming next!
– Do you have any upcoming shows you would like to tell our readers about?
Actually yes! We’re playing at the Viper Room on March 1st at 7 pm, and we’re at the Hotel Cafe on March 28th at 10 pm. We always add new dates though, so make sure you follow us on social media! All our social handles are @thebandwolves.
– How important do you think social media has been to this band? Do all you help to maintain all your sites or is one of you more into it all? Or do you rely on your PR/management team to handle it all?
Truth be told, social media is the thorn that won’t get out of our side. We’re not guys who are constantly glued to our phones. We prefer creating music and living our lives, rather than documenting our lives. HOWEVER, social media gives us a really unique opportunity to connect with our fans and for them to connect with us…and that’s invaluable. We pretty much handle all of our social media ourselves! Say hi!
– Who would you love to work with in the future? Who are some of your favorite artists right now? What do you think would be a dream collaboration for this group?
Honestly, we’d love to do a track with Cardi B. She’s KILLING IT right now. A WOLVES/Kendrick Lamar collaboration would be pretty great, too. We doubt we’ll ever get to do a song with them, but at some point our dream is to go on tour with Coldplay. That would be incredible.
– We are living in a trying time right now so I am curious how you think being in this band gives you the most joy in life today? Do you think that music being created today is going to reflect this challenging time?
Well, all of us come from different backgrounds, but the common denominator is that we all always wanted to be in a band. WOLVES just happens to be the band that all three of us always wanted to be in. As for whether or not today’s music reflects today’s challenging times, the short answer is no, as a whole. But, there are a few artists out there that actively speak about the issues of the day and how said issues are affecting everyone around us. Kendrick is a great example of this. In some regards he is speaking about the trials and tribulations like Marvin Gaye did years ago. One of our biggest hopes is that some of our music will also do the same. We have a couple of songs which speak to this, ‘Hold On For the Night’ and ‘Shoulder to Shoulder’ — which you’ll hear later on down the line.
– What do you hope is the message of your music? What do you hope people continue to take away from your songs? What do you hope they take away from one of your shows?
Well, different songs have different messages. But if our music were to have one universal message, it would be one of positivity and the idea that anybody can do anything. When you look at us, we’re three guys who aren’t SUPPOSED to be in a band, if you have an old way of thinking. As far as our shows go, we’ve been told we bring the party. So we hope they take away a melted face.
– Is there anything else that you would like to share with our readers about yourselves or your music?
Well, first of all we just want to say thanks for talking to us! As far as interviews go, these have been really fun, intriguing questions and you have clearly done your WOLVES homework! If you’re reading this, we’d love for you to follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook — our social media handle for everything is @thebandwolves. Check out our new single ‘Black Lingerie’ coming to you February 23rd on all major platforms! We can’t wait to hear from you! Peace!